ESSIC/CISESS had several talks, e-lightning sessions, posters, virtual town halls, and tutorials at this year’s American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, held in New Orleans and online from December 13 to 17.
Veljko Petkovic was the Primary Convener and chaired two sessions on “Precipitation through the Eyes of Machine Learning and Advanced Statistics: Remote Sensing, Uncertainties, and Variability.” He also chaired a session on “Commercial Earth Observation and NOAA’s Low-Earth Orbiting Satellite Data for Research and Applications.”
Melanie Abecassis held a Virtual Town Hall Meeting on Satellite Data for Ocean and Coastal Science and Applications: Products, Tools and Access Services Through NOAA alongside with Veronica Lance and Michael Soracco. Abecassis also gave a Tutorial on Ocean Satellite Data Products and Using ERDDAP and R or Python to Access and Work with Satellite Data with Cara Wilson and Dale Robinson.
Other CISESS talks included:
- Improvement of NOAA Snowfall Product Through Machine Learning – Yongzhen Fan (with Huan Meng, Jun Dong, Cezar Kongoli, Yalei You and Ralph Ferraro)
- Enhanced Evapotranspiration and Evaporative Stress Index Data Products for NOAA NWP, NWM and Drought Monitoring Operations – Li Fang (with Xiwu Zhan, Satya Kalluri, Mitch Schull, Chris Hain, Martha Anderson and Istvan Laszlo)
- Deep learning models in the Next Generation National Water Model – Jonathan Frame (UA)
The CISESS E-Lightning Talks featured:
- Ozone recovery as detected in NOAA Ground-Based and Satellite Ozone Measurements – Jeannette D. Wild [with Irina V. Petropavlovskikh, Koji Miyagawa, Peter Effertz, Audra McClure-Begley, Glen McConville, Bryan J. Johnson, Susan E. Strahan, Lawrence E. Flynn, Eric Beach, and Craig S. Long (retired)
- Impacts of COVID-19 on Emissions of Short–Lived Pollutants and Greenhouse Gases in the Mid-Atlantic States – Russ Dickerson (with Juying Xie Warner).
- Using Ambient Observations to Evaluate Emissions Estimates – Russ Dickerson (with Juying Xie Warner)
We had a large number of posters. Here are a few highlights:
- Web Presentation of CENRAIS Monitoring of GOES-R ABI Image Navigation and Registration – Song Guo (with Vladimir Kondratovich and Xiangqian Wu)
- A Decade of GCOM-W1 AMSR2 Rainfall Record at NOAA – Veljko Petkovic (with Malar Arulraj, Ralph Ferraro and Huan Meng)
- Assimilation of the Blended Satellite Soil Moisture to Further Improve Noah-MP Model Skills – Jifu Yin (with Xiwu Zhan, Mike Blarlage, Sujay Kumar, Andrew Fox, Clara Draper, Christopher Hain, Ralph Ferraro and Jicheng Liu)
- OWPHydroTools: Python-based Tools for Retrieving and Evaluating National Water Model Streamflow Simulations – Jason Regina (UA)
High School Intern Terrence Pierce has an interactive poster entitled “A Case Study Intercomparing MALMA and GLM” that he co-authored with Daile Zhang, Guangyang Fang, Scott Rudlosky, and Joseph Patton.